[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Mar 14 22:09:37 PDT 2013

On 03/09/2013 17:47, Radio młodych bandytów wrote:
> On 09/03/2013 20:36, Torsten Eichstädt wrote:
>> My biggest concern here is that the PC-BSD team is _much_ too small to
>> handle all this in a solid and well thought out manner:
>>
>> - there's little discussion; naturally, they are only two developers
>>
>> - thus they might implement sub-optimal solutions too often
>>
>> - some solutions are (and more will be) "quick hacks"
>>
>> - thus fragile, not fault-tolerant, not solid, not robust
>>
>> - it's not driven by the community, but by a small team of
>>
>> professionals
>
> I share your concerns. I run a somewhat similar project (A custom
> Linux distro based on a mainstream one, with a number of extra tools
> and mods to several base parts) with a team of ~20 and we're too few
> to handle it well. I'm very impressed by what PC-BSD accomplished, but
> there really should be a push to encourage other developers to join
> the project.

I would love to see some other folks join the project. People have to
step up to make that happen though. We have had a number of people
contribute patches, docs, or even complete programs like the PC-BSD
control panel. I'm more than happy to help anybody get their
contributions included, give out SVN accounts, etc.

>>  > I'm not sure what you mean by "too big" but python is included in the
>>
>>  > base PCBSD system (At least indirectly by the inclusion of
>> py-fail2ban
>>
>>  > in base metapkg). PC-BSD is a significantly fat distribution by most
>>
>>  > standards but I think that can be an advantage because ideas like
>> this
>>
>>  > could be considered.
>>
>> I had better written "too heavy". IMHO JavaScript and Lua are much
>> simpler and leaner than Python. For cfg scripts, I consider this a major
>> requirement; they should be easy to read and quick to understand by
>> novices.
>>
>> You gave a good example above, you need to adjust some things to match
>> your setup, or find a hook/port to link some custom scripts to. Even if
>> you're not a programmer, you'll have a much better chance to succeed
>> with JavaScript or Lua than with Python.
>
> Don't know Lua, but for me Python was much easier to learn than
> JavaScript despite that I came from C background and had it easier
> with JS's syntax.
>
> And I think that for programming noobs Python's syntax is much more
> natural, so I certainly don't agree that noobs are more likely to be
> able to change things in JS compared to it.
> As to 'big' - I wouldn't call it this way, but it ain't small for sure.
>
> Commenting on safety, JS is weakly typed, so I see it being 1 notch
> below Lua and Python here.
> But Prolog beats them all in this regard and is very small. ;)

Javascript is not something I would consider for a project like this.
Can't we just leave it on the web where it belongs? ;)