[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD

Radio młodych bandytów radiomlodychbandytow at o2.pl
Sat Mar 9 14:47:51 PST 2013

On 09/03/2013 20:36, Torsten Eichstädt wrote:
> My biggest concern here is that the PC-BSD team is _much_ too small to
> handle all this in a solid and well thought out manner:
>
> - there's little discussion; naturally, they are only two developers
>
> - thus they might implement sub-optimal solutions too often
>
> - some solutions are (and more will be) "quick hacks"
>
> - thus fragile, not fault-tolerant, not solid, not robust
>
> - it's not driven by the community, but by a small team of
>
> professionals

I share your concerns. I run a somewhat similar project (A custom Linux
distro based on a mainstream one, with a number of extra tools and mods
to several base parts) with a team of ~20 and we're too few to handle it
well. I'm very impressed by what PC-BSD accomplished, but there really
should be a push to encourage other developers to join the project.

>  > I'm not sure what you mean by "too big" but python is included in the
>
>  > base PCBSD system (At least indirectly by the inclusion of py-fail2ban
>
>  > in base metapkg). PC-BSD is a significantly fat distribution by most
>
>  > standards but I think that can be an advantage because ideas like this
>
>  > could be considered.
>
> I had better written "too heavy". IMHO JavaScript and Lua are much
> simpler and leaner than Python. For cfg scripts, I consider this a major
> requirement; they should be easy to read and quick to understand by novices.
>
> You gave a good example above, you need to adjust some things to match
> your setup, or find a hook/port to link some custom scripts to. Even if
> you're not a programmer, you'll have a much better chance to succeed
> with JavaScript or Lua than with Python.

Don't know Lua, but for me Python was much easier to learn than
JavaScript despite that I came from C background and had it easier with
JS's syntax.

And I think that for programming noobs Python's syntax is much more
natural, so I certainly don't agree that noobs are more likely to be
able to change things in JS compared to it.
As to 'big' - I wouldn't call it this way, but it ain't small for sure.

Commenting on safety, JS is weakly typed, so I see it being 1 notch
below Lua and Python here.
But Prolog beats them all in this regard and is very small. ;)
--
Twoje radio