[PC-BSD Dev] RFC: Choice of a Less Error-Prone Scripting Language for Configuration Scripts + Standard Data Format

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Mar 8 15:40:02 PST 2013

On 03/07/2013 17:35, Torsten Eichstädt wrote:

> Hello to all!
>

> [The following proposal is meant for one of the next releases, not for
>
> immediate hacking of existent code, of course!]
>

> REQUEST FOR COMMENT
>

> - DRAFT -
>

> I propose to
>

> 1. Re-write and refactor the configuration & installation scripts in
> PCBSD in a less error-prone scripting language than shell script.
>
> Suggestions: Lua or JavaScript;

My pick would be Lua, but that's just personal preference.

> 2. Change the configuration data files to a standardized,
> human-readable and
>
> simple data format. My suggestions are YAML or JSON.

Sounds good! Is this something you personally are offering to write?

If you can write a better installer, then by all means go forward!  If
we plan on making this specific / unique to PC-BSD, then it gives us
options as to different languages/interpreters/libraries, etc. The
reason I wrote pc-sysinstall in shell originally was that we needed
something that would work in "vanilla" FreeBSD. (And between C / shell,
I preferred shell). Since FreeBSD has been going forward on their own
BSDInstall for a while now, then I think its safe for us to move on to
something better. How are you planing on doing the integration with
gpart / zfs, command-line or using libgeom and friends?