[PC-BSD Dev] RFC: Choice of a Less Error-Prone Scripting Language for Configuration Scripts + Standard Data Format

Josh Paetzel josh at tcbug.org
Fri Mar 8 06:21:49 PST 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 4:10 AM, Torsten Eichstädt <torsten.eichstaedt at web.de> wrote:

> Hello everybody!
>
> Rob, you don't have to quote such a long mail back to the list ;)
>
> [When I speak of "all", "none", "everyone" etc. it should be clear that every rule has it's exceptions. That's a philosophical question]

One of the primary reasons the installer is in shell is it's included in the FreeBSD base system to do automated installs.

To be in the base system of FreeBSD you have two viable choices. Shell or C.

There are parts of pc-sysinstall that could be written in C.  You'd have access to libgeom instead of parsing userland output.

Thanks,

Josh Paetzelq