[PC-BSD Dev] Add Users

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Fri Jun 21 09:22:26 PDT 2013

I have been having a very hard time trying to add users to PC-BSD 9.1
(fully updated - 32 and 64bits).
When I need to add a user those are the steps that I have to take to
make it fully work:
  - Add user via interface, set it as administrator
  - open xterm and as root, if the /home/<user> is mounted, umount it
  - log out and log in as the new user
  - do the needed setup, folders, Thunderbird, chrome, etc...
  - log out and log back in as the initial user
  - open xterm and as root make sure that /home/<user> is not mounted
and then:  mv /home/<user> /home/<user>.ok
  - reboot
  - login as initial user
  - open xterm as root and copy all the files from /home/<user>.ok to
  - a final reboot and now it works

if I don't follow those steps I always encounter issues like (random):
  - smb protocol not working
  - Thunderbird gives a weird startup error about permission on opening
some protocol (TCP/IP)
  - desktop settings are lost at every reboot
  - random "cannot connect to <anything>" errors, can be "desktop", a
web server, the proxy servers, etc...

Anyone know what might cause this problem ?  It is kind of a new error
that started a month ago or so and affects all the up-to-date
computers.  This does not happen on 9.0 32bit

Fabry