[PC-BSD Dev] Mate desktop

Yuri Momotiuk yurkis at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 08:10:12 PDT 2013

Hi

I have little time now for playing something FreeBSD related. I have just
found ports for MATE desktop (looks like Gnome2 successor)-
http://mate-desktop.org/

For trying mate do this:

# fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/script/matemerge.sh

# sh matemerge.sh

(Change DESTDIR variable in matemerge.sh to set place where ports will be
cloned from github before merge. Something like
/home/yurkis/src/mate-ports/. Directory should be exist.)

x11/mate - full MATE desktop (including terminal. calculator, editor end so
on)
x11/mate-base - only base MATE desktopp (seems like gnome-light, I think)

I have just built this (full package) and MATE looks good for me.

MATE ports project on github:
https://github.com/jlmess77/mate-ports

This set of ports may be added to FreeBSD ports tree soon. So, how about
replace Gnome2 by Mate for default install media?

--
Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk