[PC-BSD Dev] New PCDM and themes not using QML?

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 20 17:47:55 PDT 2013

On 06/20/2013 19:29, Claudio L. wrote:

> On 06/20/2013 14:10, Ken Moore wrote:
>
>> If I recall correctly, QML requires the QtQuick framework which is not
>> ported to FreeBSD yet.
>>

> Ken,
> That was a loooong time ago! Now QML is included in all Qt distributions.
> I tried compiling a Hello World QML with Qt Creator (from PBI) and it
> worked just fine. The QML Viewer also works, so I don't see any
> porting problems, it's all there for the taking. Using QML you would
> give a blank canvas to artists to customize the display manager
> completely, not just changing the style of the widgets.
> I think you should reevaluate this, QML is THAT good.
>
> Claudio

Sounds good! I guess a lot has changed since I started working on
PCDM... :-)

Do you want to take a shot at converting it over to using a QML file for
the theming? I tried to make sure that the theme stuff was kept seperate
from the bulk of the program, so I do not anticipate any major issues
with the conversion process, but it will take some time for me to read
up on QML and get familiar with it.

We are in the middle of a theme contest for PCDM at the moment, but I am
thinking that we can still take those themes and "up-convert" them to
QML once PCDM has been switched over.

~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems