[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD Status Update

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Thu Jun 20 07:39:16 PDT 2013

Hello, I like all the changes but I do not agree with the dropping of
the i386.
I have many 64bit computers that do not even start if I install the
64bit version on them or give a various range of problems from black
screens to corruption of the user settings etc...  with 32bit the
computer works great (9.1 and 9.0).  Those computers are Optiplex 740
and 760 as well as other IBM computers that I cannot recall the name now
but that we are fading out.

Also for some reason the 64bit version does not work well with parallel
printers when a USB scanner (keyboard emulator) is installed, for this
reason all my production computers have the 32 bit version installed
(over 40 computers).

I am currently using an Optiplex 740 with 9.0 32bits installed and then
upgraded to 9.1 64bits and everything almost works great (can't print on
most of the programs that I use, but I don't mind), most of my CSR are
using 9.0 64bits upgraded to 9.1 64bits, and it seems like that they are
working great.  The only difference between me and them is that I have
6Gb Ram and they only have between 3 and 4Gb (Ram already
tested/switched/checked).

Dropping the 32bit, unless those problems are fixed, will mean to me
that I will have to start to look back to windows with steady state
installed.. and I do not want to do that.

Please reconsider the decision about the 32bits or at least work toward
fixing whatever bugs are currently affecting the 64bits.

Thank you

Fabry