[PC-BSD Dev] pc-thinclient external dhcp server

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Jun 13 06:19:39 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 23:20, Joe Maloney wrote:
> Thanks Kris.  I've cloned the repo and I've added the option to use an
> external dhcp server during the second prompt.  This will bypass
> installing isc-dhcp and will ask the user to input their network id
> and subnet info but I need to find a way to take that text and paste
> it into hosts.allow on the appropriate line for ifs, etc.  I think
> that should work I just haven't gotten that quite yet.
>
> https://github.com/pkgdemon/pcbsd/blob/master/src-sh/pc-thinclient/pc-thinclient

Cool! Issue a pull request when you get it wrapped up and I'll take a
look at it :)

> While I am thinking about it I was just watching the presentation from
> BSDcan on pc-thinclient and I learned a few things in the process.  I
> was thinking since it was mentioned that the pc-thinclient environment
> is just a chroot would it be possible to create an option in the
> warden to create pc-thinclient jails in addition to linux jails, etc?
>  Then allow the user to graphical set the network card to run off of,
> specify mac address options, etc from there?  Would that even be
> possible to pxe boot into a jail?

It may be possible, maybe something worth trying? My guess would be that
it requires a jail with VIMAGE support enabled. If you or somebody wants
to do a test jail and see if its possible though, please let us know. If
it works properly, then it would be a very cool feature to have in the
warden.