[PC-BSD Dev] Disk Manager

Claudio L. claudio at hpgcc3.org
Tue Jun 4 10:21:56 PDT 2013

On 06/03/2013 10:15, Kris Moore wrote:

> Fantastic! Nobody has started this yet, so it would be a very welcome
> addition to the control panel.
>
> BTW, did you get anywhere on ZFS Boot Environments for the loader? I
> have an idea on how to do this, and I may work on it in the next few weeks.

As far as I understand (by looking at the source code), the issue is
that the boot code has only minimal support to boot from ZFS, there's no
code to select a dataset, set properties or promote a clone (needed to
switch boot env.).
The loader is read from within the boot dataset, so by the time the
loader is in memory, your chance to change the file system is past
(/boot is already mounted and you are reading the boot menu and config
from it). I guess you could have a menu that changes the boot
environment and then issue a complete reboot in order to load the loader
from the corresponding boot environment.

Claudio