[PC-BSD Dev] EasyPBI version 2.1 such user password and fail to build

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 29 07:04:26 PDT 2013

On 07/29/2013 07:32, nemysis wrote:
>>> There is nothing wrong with the requirement of user password instead of
>>> root.
>>> We have been switching everything over to using the "sudo" command
>>> instead of "su", so that user password is the correct one that it should
>>> be prompting for now.
>>>
>>> I will be updating the EasyPBI text here soon. Just waiting until I get
>>> back from the conference I am at right now... :-)
>> The problem is that the user is asked for the user password but the root password is required.
>
> I suggest using pc-su instead of sudo.
>
> pc-su application
>
> pc-su use qsudo
>

> It is advisable to adjust Desktop entries as under
>

> cat /usr/local/share/applications/EasyPBI.desktop
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=pc-su EasyPBI
> Icon=/usr/local/share/EasyPBI/EasyPBIicon.png
> Type=Application
>
> Categories=Development;System;
> Name=EasyPBI
> Name[ar]=EasyPBI
>
> cat /usr/local/share/applications/pc-pkgmanager.desktop
>
> [Desktopcat /usr/local/share/applications/pc-pkgmanager.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=pc-su pc-pkgmanager
> Icon=computer
> Type=Application
> Categories=System;
> Name=Package Manager
> Name[bs]=Upravljać paketa
> Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Exec=pc-su pc-pkgmanager
> Icon=computer
> Type=Application
> Categories=System;
> Name=Package Manager
> Name[bs]=Upravljač paketa
>

> Other entries need minor adjustments on same lines.
>

>  From CLI everything works as expected.
>
> Ideally I will prefer pc-su.
> Works always good, the best is this one, native PC-BSD pc-su solution
>
> pc-su EasyPBI
>

> The following works well as per FreeBSD instructions
>
> uxterm -e su -m root -c EasyPBI
>

> The last option is to use as GNU/Linux Ubuntu solution
>
> sudo /usr/local/bin/EasyPBI
>

> Thank you for your time and consideration.
>

>  From Curt Dox, this think I too
>
>> PS. Since being informed that by adjusting the sudoers file with visudo, it
>> seems that the former
>> root pass prompt can be restored, which simply now means it needs to be
>> mentioned in our docs.

EasyPBI already uses "pc-su" to properly switcher user permissions when
building a PBI, I am willing to guess that you have manually updated
your system packages from the command line, and simply forgot to run the
"pc-extractoverlay ports" and "pc-extractoverlay desktop" commands,
because that will make sure that your sudoers file is updated to match
the switch over to using "sudo" instead of "su" for admin privileges
inside applications.

--
~~ Ken Moore ~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems