[PC-BSD Dev] ZFS dedup

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Tue Jul 23 04:31:14 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Radio młodych bandytów
<radiomlodychbandytow at o2.pl> wrote:
> Maybe they are cached somehow? Maybe FreeBSD Dedupe is different from
> Solaris? Maybe it changed at some point? Maybe the blogger (claiming to
> work for Oracle) got it wrong? Maybe you or your sources got something
> wrong?

The same is true for you.
But I bet someone involved with iXSystems will know better than me on
the subject.

> This is a serious matter and would be good to have cleared up.

I guess a quite easy test to perform is to "clone" a fresh installed
system onto a ZFS filesystem with dedup enabled, in order to see what
the final result is. That would give a taste of the gained disk space.
Please note that it does make sense, to me, to check only against the
"base" system, since user has the option to change the desktop and
other software during the installation phase, so it is not simple to
get the real amount of saved space.

Luca