[PC-BSD Dev] ZFS dedup

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jul 22 13:05:31 PDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 15:31, Radio młodych bandytów wrote:
> On 22/07/2013 21:02, Kris Moore wrote:
>> Plus everything I hear is to avoid dedup at all costs right now.
> Why?
>

>From my understanding, dedup stores the matching blocks list entirely
inside of memory. ZFS being rather memory hungry, its possible to exaust
this memory pool *very* quickly. The result can be a panic, and losing
your data on disk, since the memory tables are now lost :(

For more details you'd have to ask some of the FreeNAS ZFS guys, but
that was the gist of it. It was a serious enough problem that they
recommended we not even offer the option, until a solution can be found.