[PC-BSD Dev] pc-thinclient external dhcp server

Joe Maloney jpm820 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 11:29:44 PDT 2013

Kris,

I've finished the modifications for pc-thinclient to accept an external
dhcp server.  Basically the way it works is a new second prompt will ask
the user to press "d" for internal dhcp server or 'e' for external dhcp
server.  If external dhcp server option is chosen a series of prompts will
ask the user for the network card interface, network id, subnet mask and ip
address of the thin client will be running on.  It will then use the user
input for modifying /etc/exports and /etc/hosts.allow.

2 issues.  I've not yet found a way yet to verify the network id, subnet
mask, and ip address in the way that the network interface is verified.
I'm not sure if it is possible to pull that info from ifconfig because if I
grep inet it also displays info for inet 6 for example.  I haven't devised
a way yet at least.  I could easily create a dialog asking the user if
these settings look correct before continuning?  Would that be acceptable
or would we definitely want the verification?

The second issue is the pxeboot client refuses to mount the
/usr/home/thinclient nfs share unless i constantly ping the client as it is
booting.  This is true whether or client is listed with a hostname in
/etc/hosts.

for example

10.11.0.72 pc-thinclient200

Adding an entry to /etc/hosts does not seem to help one way or another.
Therefore I haven't yet devised a way to add the bulk of IP's to /etc/hosts
as the option for internal dhcp server would.  I thought I would check to
see what you thought before issuing a pull request.  I can still issue the
pull request if you like but I suspect I need to make this work a little
better first.  What do you think?

Joe Maloney