[PC-BSD Dev] how many qt?

Kennedy Kasina kenkasina at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:10:07 PST 2013

Hey Ken, I'll check it out over the weekend and chip in where I can.

Regards,
Kennedy

On Friday, January 4, 2013, Ken Moore <ken at pcbsd.org> wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 10:52, John Suykerbuyk wrote:
>
> -snip-
>>
>> Outside of that, fantastic work Kris. PC-BSD 9.1 is by far the best,
most functional and stable platform I have ever used.  Thank you!

>> - John "S"
>>

>> PS:  Kris I'm an experienced QT developer and would be interested in
lending a hand with the new login manager.

> I have written the current form of the new login manager, but I would
greatly appreciate another set of eyes looking it over!

> It can be found on the SVN repo here[1] if you want to check it out and
look it over... patches/changes are always welcome!

> Current status of PCDM:
> I think I have most of the basic program usage pretty much worked out.
Most of the development time so far went into getting the interface
completely configurable via a couple *.conf scripts in
/usr/local/share/PCDM/ and also getting the authentication/login process
working well. Don't worry about the initial appearance when you run it, I
just threw a bunch of random images into it to test out all the
configuration stuff. Once it gets to a much more "finished" state we will
swap out the current graphics for some nice looking images, and also set
some good defaults for the setup.

> Areas for improvement:
> 1) Add XDMCP support. This needs to be handled in some new "pre-startup"
functions that will setup/start X as appropriate (replacing the current
"PCDM-multi" shell script).
> 2) Cleanup the format for the configuration files to make it a bit easier
to understand/modify.
> 3) Clean up the code flow a bit to streamline the processes.
> 4) Make sure that it is able to be completely run by keyboard shortcuts
(some of this is done)
> 5) Need to find a better way of integrating the virtual keyboard than the
current implementation, although this might be able to be pushed off until
a later version of the program.

> There might be more that needs to be done as well, but this is just what
comes to mind. I am just finishing up the new version of EasyPBI at the
moment, and there is another PBI-related program that is quickly rising in
importance so I might not be able to return to PCDM in the very near
future. If you have any additional questions/comments, please let me know!