[PC-BSD Dev] how many qt?

John Suykerbuyk pcbsd_dev at suykerbuyk.org
Fri Jan 4 07:52:06 PST 2013

As a delighted user of 9.0 and an ecstatic user of 9.1, I would like to
chime in with the opinion that not only are Kris and the team doing
great work, they are doing it 'the right way".

There is very little that is generic in managing a system's underlying
resources except perhaps the concepts in presenting them in a UI.  I'm
glad that PC-BSD does not struggle to maintain alignment to upstream
system management applets and tools.  If they did, they would probably
spend most of their time (I believe) handling exception conditions
unique to BSD.  As a former user of OpenSUSE and Kubonto user, I came to
know that even the Linux guys can't keep the KDE system management
applets stable between major releases.

My one wish, is for there to be a guide to slip streaming the PCBSD apps
& overlays into a 'make release' image.  Even better yet, getting them
into a standard ports package!  I recently got a Samsung 840 Pro SSD for
my favorite laptop (an old Thinkpad T61).  The SSD claims that it
supports Async Notifications, but every time it gets mod probed and
enabled, the drive errors out (the feature is not really implemented).
So I had to build my own kernel that worked around the bug and then edit
the PC-BSD 9.1 lite usb stick image inject my kernel into there.  It all
seemed straightforward enough once I done it, but I would love to be
able to build a complete PC-BSD set of release images in a jail
relatively hands off.

Outside of that, fantastic work Kris. PC-BSD 9.1 is by far the best,
most functional and stable platform I have ever used.  Thank you!

- John "S"

PS:  Kris I'm an experienced QT developer and would be interested in
lending a hand with the new login manager.