[PC-BSD Dev] setting up a development environment

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Fri Jan 4 06:58:21 PST 2013

On 01/04/2013 09:51, Kris Moore wrote:
> On 01/04/2013 04:40, Luca Ferrari wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'd like to do some experiments with the PCBSD code, mainly for
>> learning purposes and who knows, I hope to contribute someway to the
>> project. I'd like to set up a development environment but on the wiki
>> http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Main_Page I cannot find any particular
>> instruction about how to do that. So my question is if it is there a
>> particular need and which is the "official" toolchain used by
>> developers (QtCreator? Kdevelop? plain editor?).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Luca
> Our entire tool-chain is in SVN, so you can browse / checkout code from
> http://svn.pcbsd.org. As for development environment, you can use
> whatever utilities you wish that work with QT. I personally do all my
> programming in "vi", but then use the QT4 designer utility for creating
> GUI layouts, etc.

I generally just use text editors (SciTE at the moment) and the
qt-designer tool for creating Qt applications. Although, I have used
QtCreator a couple times when creating a new project just because it
make the initial setup a lot simpler.

My experiences with developing in full-blown IDE's have always been
less-than-optimal, so that might have something to do with it too.... :-)

NOTE: The Development-Qt system package installs all the Qt stuff you
will "need", including designer, qmake, etc...

--
~~Ken Moore~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems