[PC-BSD Dev] how many qt?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jan 4 06:49:55 PST 2013

On 01/04/2013 04:24, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> please, this is not meant to be a flame, but I'm curious to understand
> the rationale behind the strong usage of Qt within PCBSD. I mean, as a
> Qt (junior) developer I love the library and the facilities it
> provides, and as a Unix lover, I love PCBSD too. However I see that
> more and more gadgets are specifically developed using Qt instead of
> "patching" and porting existing software. As an example, consider the
> removable device manager and network connection manager that are in
> 9.1: why not using the network manager and pluggable device plasmoid
> already present in KDE? I also read somewhere about a Qt based desktop
> manager (login screen). It sounds to me that a lot of existing pieces
> are going to be reimplemented using Qt and while I understand how
> portability is important, I believe that this could also lead to a
> less attractive system since Linux users will not jump on board if
> they don't have their well known gadgets (either KDE's, Gnome's or
> whatever desktop's).
>
> Luca

We typically have not tried to port over too many "linux" utilities for
a host of reasons.

First, most of them that deal with low-level stuff, like networking /
device manager, are so enmeshed with linux, that it would nearly take a
re-write of chunks of them just to add the FreeBSD backend
functionality, plus then some of the ways BSD does things may not mesh
with their GUI, etc. This is probably why most porters haven't done
these utilities yet.

Second, most of those utilities bring in other dependencies, such as KDE
libs, GTK, etc. We are trying to keep things in our PC-BSD Control Panel
as window-manager agnostic as possible, so that you can run whatever you
want, be it fluxbox, LXDE, etc without having to "suck" in so many other
un-related WM libs.