[PC-BSD Dev] PCDM - some wishes

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Wed Feb 27 06:57:43 PST 2013

On 02/27/2013 08:57, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm following the PCDM svn activity and have some things about it:
> 1. Can you add ability to choise between dropdown user select and listbox

I currently have it just display a list of all the available user
"display names" (not the actual user name), as given in /etc/passwd. Are
you asking for a "manual" option that just presents a single line where
you have to type in the username yourself?

> 2. Can you add auto login feature (possible with progress bar
> regarding to auto login time)

This is already included and works. You just need to set
ENABLE_AUTO_LOGIN=TRUE as well as the appriopriate user and desktop
environment in the PCDM configuration file
(/usr/local/share/PCDM/pcdm.conf).

> 3. Also would be great to display user profile pictures (avatars). For
> example KDE creates file ~/.face.icon which is points to user profile
> picture when user set profile picture in settings

I have a couple ideas for implementing this, but I want to wait on extra
"eye-candy" implementations until the program is finished up. I plan on
implementing things like this as part of the first couple updates for
the program, since right now the focus is just to make the program
available to use.

> 4. Please don't display user selection (at least dropdown) and display
> password edit by default in case of single user system.

I am not sure I understand what you are asking for here. Do you want the
user (on a single-user system) to be automatically selected and waiting
for the password only?

Right now it has the same "flow" as all the other login managers I have
used, where you can simply press "enter/return" to select the user shown
(which is the last one that logged in), then it will shift focus to the
password line and you can type in the password and hit "enter/return"
again to log in. This allows for logging in without using the mouse at
all. There is even a "CTRL-[left arrow| right arrow]" shortcut for
changing the desktop environment when a user is not selected yet.

> I understand that PCDM is on early development stage. It is just wishes
>
> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

Thanks for your feedback!
Let me know if you see anything else!