[PC-BSD Dev] 9.1 Rolling Release

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Feb 22 10:50:38 PST 2013

Testers & Dev,

As a few of you have already noticed, we have some new ISOs now up on
the mirrors:

http://mirrors.isc.org/pub/pcbsd/9.1-RELEASE/

These are the first images built of PC-BSD Rolling Release, based upon
FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE, which use PKGNG as the backend for keeping your
desktop and base-system packages up to date. You are welcome to download
and give them a spin if you want to help us beta-test them.

They include updated packages from about 2 weeks ago, which includes KDE
4.9.5 among others. Our build server is still finishing up building the
entire package repository and I hope to have all ~20k pkgng packages
online in another week or so, with weekly updates after that. The weekly
updates will include all the latest PC-BSD / TrueOS utilities, so you
can expect to see much more frequent bug fixes & enhancements.

For users running on the original PC-BSD / TrueOS 9.1 release, I also
have an online system update in the works. This update will convert your
existing install to PKGNG and allow you to start tracking the rolling
release, the same as if you installed a fresh copy from our new ISOs.
Once I've finished a bit more testing & bugfixing with it, I will post
back with details on how to try it out. I'm hopeful it will be sometime
next week.

Lastly, I also wanted to let you know that with this change, it will be
possible convert an existing "FreeBSD" 9.1-Release into a PC-BSD or
TrueOS system. I've started writing instructions on the PC-BSD wiki page
with details:

http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Turn_FreeBSD_into_PC-BSD%C2%AE

Last but not least, we have some new hardware coming in soon which I
will quickly get working on building a PC-BSD -STABLE release, and then
-CURRENT. More details as they arrive :)

Happy testing, and please post your feedback to the list so we can get
to work quashing bugs.