[PC-BSD Dev] AppCafe (and Chromium)

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Feb 13 12:12:43 PST 2013


On 02/13/2013 15:08, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> I just removed the current one, cleared my config/chromium folder
> restarted and installed _1 and I do see a great improvement in speed.
>
> Hopefully I won't see the white pages again.
>
> Thank you
>
> Fabry
>
>
That *should* fix it, I'm using the latest Chrome PBI from last night,
and it seems the issue is corrected now, hasn't re-appeared anyway.

> On 02/13/2013 14:28, Bridger Dyson-Smith wrote:
>> Apologies, I should have mentioned that a reboot was necessary to
>> reset the memory leak (which was caused by the bad library in the
>> Chromium PBI). So, uninstall old PBI, install _1 PBI, and restart. 
>>
>> Hopefully someone who has a better grasp of the situation will
>> prevent me from confusing things further.
>> Cheers!
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Fabrizio Parrella
>> <fabrizio at bibivu.com <mailto:fabrizio at bibivu.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I did update to the _1 and nothing, I did remove the old and
>>     reinstall the new and still nothing..
>>
>>     I am going to open the thread and see if maybe there is something
>>     I can do to figure out if there is another library breaking the
>>     rendering.
>>
>>     Thank you
>>
>>     Fabry
>>
>>
>>     On 02/13/2013 14:19, Bridger Dyson-Smith wrote:
>>>     Hi Fabry, 
>>>
>>>     This sounds similar to my problem here
>>>     (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19296). Deleting the
>>>     Chromium PBI and reinstalling 24.0.1312.57_1 (note the _1) seems
>>>     to have fixed the problem. Kris explains the cause in the forum
>>>     thread, but to give it a rough summation: there was a bad
>>>     library hanging out in Chromium. He removed it & it seems to
>>>     have fixed the issue.
>>>
>>>     HTH
>>>     Bridger
>>>
>>>
>>>     On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Fabrizio Parrella
>>>     <fabrizio at bibivu.com <mailto:fabrizio at bibivu.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Sometime the App Cafe while it is checking for updates
>>>         reaches 100% cpu usage, when I go and check what is going on
>>>         I see that it is trying to fetch from URLs that are not
>>>         currently open from the firewall/proxy or unreachable.
>>>
>>>         When this happens other 3 things at the same time happen too:
>>>          - Opening the AppCafe results in a grey/white page screen,
>>>         seems all scrambled and no icons or anything shows, only the
>>>         Top menu
>>>          - Chromium stop displaying the rendered page, the menu
>>>         works, the tabs do have the icons, if I move the mouse
>>>         around the "white page" I see the cursor change and if I
>>>         click I do see the URL change and pages get called.
>>>          - LibreOffice and Open Office do not open right away, I
>>>         have to click on them at least twice, then kill the first
>>>         process and the second one open.
>>>
>>>         Those things always happen at the same time, I am not sure
>>>         if the hanging of the fetch is the cause or a symptom.  The
>>>         only way to recover from this status is to restart the
>>>         computer. Closing/Reopening the programs do not work.  When
>>>         I close the program all the processes are closed as well.
>>>
>>>         I tried to remove the content of the /tmp folder and
>>>         /var/tmp paying attention to the files needed by LXDE, but
>>>         no success.  I even tried to remove my chromium folder
>>>         thinking it was chromium the problem, but again nothing.  I
>>>         did remove the config, uninstalled chromium, close App Cafe
>>>         and the Update Manager,  reinstalled chromium, still
>>>         nothing, Log-Out and Log back in... nothing...
>>>
>>>         I am reverting to Firefox for now, but it is a lot slower
>>>         rendering the pages and I am forced to close it every few
>>>         hours as the memory consumption gets too high.
>>>
>>>         I really do not think this is a chromium issue, but most
>>>         likely some library gets "messed up"
>>>
>>>         Fabry
>>>         _______________________________________________
>>>         Dev mailing list
>>>         Dev at lists.pcbsd.org <mailto:Dev at lists.pcbsd.org>
>>>         http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/dev
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dev mailing list
> Dev at lists.pcbsd.org
> http://lists.pcbsd.org/mailman/listinfo/dev


-- 
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software
iXsystems

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.pcbsd.org/pipermail/dev/attachments/20130213/beb8ad16/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Dev mailing list