[PC-BSD Dev] App-Cafe problems + system update suggestion

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Fri Feb 1 08:54:44 PST 2013

Hello list,
I have found a few issues with the App-Cafe.  Those issues have been in
place since 9.0, I just forgot to send an email to the list.

All my systems have two users because they are installed in bulk and
then distributed to different user when needed.  We always create an
user called "admin" and then when we give the system to a person we
create that person user and configure it.

We do install all the Apps initially as "admin", then it might happen
that some apps are removed and installed as the the person name (I.E.:
open office changes).

When it happens that we need to update the PBI, if we are not logged in
as the user that initially installed the APP it might happen that we
find ourselves with a few issues:
  - /var/db/pbi/  has the old copy of the PBI as well as the new one
  - /usr/pbi/ doesn't get updated
  - App-Cafe runs the update, download, does all the "work" but then it
shows that the PBI still needs to be updated

I believe this can be fixed by changing the permissions on those folders
to a different user (let's call it pbi_user) and run app-cafe as that
user so that the updates will always work no matter what user I am
logged in as.

Another solution would be to make those folders writable by the group
operator, but I do understand that it might be dangerous as some apps
might write in the PBI folder breaking the "to each user its own info"

About the system update, would it be possible to have some settings that
I can change in the interface ?
I would like the option to tell the system to automatically apply all
the system updates that are not going to require a "restart", maybe even
the ability to give a time when to check for updates and the ability to
turn off the "check for updates when program starts" but still "run
program when computer starts".

A small issue that we are having here (behind an http[s] proxy),
sometime the icons says that there are system updates available, I run
the program and it takes a very long time to check and then it says
"system updates available" but nothing is listed.  I am slowly
converting everybody to 9.1 and so far the issue has been appearing only
on 9.0, but I do want to make sure that you guys were aware and maybe it
is fixed on the 9.1 .

Another important thing would be to know what the updates actually fix.
For example I just applied a patch that fixed the user manager, but what
does it actually fix ?  is it something that I should go back into the
user manager and confirm some options for the users or is this something
that did not effect the users already created ?  I know i can probably
go into the trac system or google or go to a site and find out, but a
"click here for more info" would be great, or make the mouse over info a
bit more descriptive.

Thank you

Fabry