[PC-BSD Dev] pcbsd system source idea and question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Dec 19 06:16:53 PST 2013

On 12/19/2013 03:12, Joe Maloney wrote:
> Here is what I've been able to come up with now for a more simple version.
>
> http://pastebin.com/7PHASL4S
>
> I've been testing and it works but it takes about 25 minutes to fetch
> all the source.
>
> I had to use something like this to make up for not being able to run
> to instances of prog, args in startPorts to run two git commands on
> after another.:
>
> system("git --git-dir=/usr/ports/.git fetch" );
>
> Otherwise they would run at the same time which would be bad.  I'm not
> sure of a better way to do it at this point but my gut tells me using
> system() might not be a great idea.
>
> I haven't commited this yet as it's really slow and I figured I would
> see what your thoughts were first.
>
> Joe Maloney

So, to speed it up, I would add --depth=1, which will greatly speed up
the initial checkout.

# git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/pcbsd/freebsd-ports.git

I do that on my builders here and it took the checkout from 20 minutes
down to about 45 seconds :)

As for using "system" it may be better to use QProcess::execute() instead.