[PC-BSD Dev] pcbsd system source idea and question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Dec 18 09:52:15 PST 2013

On 12/14/2013 12:56, Joe Maloney wrote:
> Ok since this is going to take me a while here is what I have so far.
>
> portsnapprogress.h
> http://pastebin.com/yDLMJnhk
>
> portsnapprogress.cpp
> http://pastebin.com/S8BsmpSr
>
> When I first started this I ran into the limitation with git that it
> can't clone into a dir like /usr/ports/ which has an existing dir like
> /usr/ports/distfiles.  Which also is a dataset.  Otherwise this would
> have been easy by just using your example for fetchsource() and
> renaming the buttons in portsnapprogress.ui.
>
> The only way to fix this in git was to change some things in the
> global configuration for git so I didn't think that would be a good
> idea.  I didn't think running git clone to a temp dir and moving it
> was a really clean way of doing it either.  So I started with the idea
> that I would init a fresh repo in /usr/ports.  Then add the pcbsd
> ports tree as an upstream repo.  Then fetch the ports and merge them.
>  This way if /usr/ports/.git/config existed with an upstream repo I
> could just fetch and merge only the updates and not have to re-clone
> the entire thing.  I think this could work for fetchsource() also if
> you wanted to only grab the updates quickly each time.
>
> What I'm missing is the code to check /usr/ports/.git/config to check
> to see if the upstream repo has been added, add it, otherwise continue
> on to fetch ports.  Then continue on to fetchports() mergeports().
>  Also I've ripped out some of the functions the fetch done stuff at
> the end of the script while I was testing.
>
> Although I've learned a few things so far I'm by no means an expert in
> qt.  So I figured I would pass along what I've been able to figure out
> so far.  I see that some similar things already with pcdm as far as
> parsing config files with qt so I suspect someone will know how to
> finish this.  I just wasn't sure how to implement that type of
> function for what I was trying to do here.  I will continue
> researching it but if someone is able to finish this before I do or do
> it another way I will just learn from the examples.
>
> Joe Maloney

So, I'm a big fan of "simple" solutions :)

Maybe what you do is this. Have 2 buttons, "Init ports tree" and "update
ports tree"

The init one will do a destructive clone of our ports tree into
/usr/ports, removing and replacing whatever is already there. (That is
what you would run the first time of course)

Then if you detect we have /usr/ports/.git, enable the "update ports
tree" button which just does a "git pull origin master".

If the user is already manually checking out files into /usr/ports from
elsewhere, then I would expect them to continue managing it from the CLI
or other methods. This would be more for new users who want to get an
initial checkout, update, or blow-away a bad ports tree they mangled.