[PC-BSD Dev] pcbsd system source idea and question

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 10 14:16:39 PST 2013

On 12/08/2013 17:20, Joe Maloney wrote:
> I was playing around with porthshaker to fetch and merge the latest
> virtualbox development ports.  I thought of something as I told it to
> grab the freebsd-ports fork from pcbsd rather than the freebsd ports
> tree.  I've noticed that in system manager the source fetching tool is
> now using git.  Does it now grab the source from pcbsd's github?
>
> I was just thinking how cool it would be if it did grab the source from
> github for whatever running kernel and world revision the user is
> updated to.  Likewise if the fetch ports feature would fetch the
> modified ports from pcbsd rather than the ports tree from pcbsd.  Maybe
> they could be renamed to "fetch pcbsd system source", and "fetch pcbsd
> ports".
>
> I wasn't sure if you might already be heading in the direction.  However
> I am sure it would solve a lot of problems that I've had in the past
> with building things that require the source for the running kernel.
> This would also spare the user having to rebuild and reinstall kernel
> and world to install something like virtualbox from ports.  I'm just
> curious is this something that might already be in development or sound
> like a good idea?
>
> Joe Maloney

Part of it is done. I've already switched it on 10 to download the
system sources from our "git" fork, so that if you recompile kernel you
get our PEFS merge and such. We just need to switch the ports tree over
to do the same and rename the buttons as you suggested. If thats
something you want to do, please feel free, otherwise it may be a few
days before I can get to it.