[PC-BSD Dev] pcbsd, pcdm locale and language settings

Joe Maloney jpm820 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:01:29 PST 2013

I tested with fluxbox also and the language stayed the same. However I
never tested with fluxbox after starting pcdm interactively rather than
letting the system start pcdm.  I will give that a try also when I get a
chance.

As far as I can tell when gdm is used gdm 2/3 itself doesn't modify
.profile but it creates a .dmrc for gnome2 and for gnome3 it would use
accountsservice.  From what I was reading kdm also uses the .dmrc method
or at least it used to.  Gdm3 uses accountsservice and will set
/var/db/AccountService/users/jmaloney to set langauge per a user.  That
file would also be used to set account pictures.  I think lightdm also
uses accountsservice but I'm still researching.

I think the way you were trying to do it by setting the variable made
the most sense however.  Rather than touching .profile, etc.  I know at
least gdm2/3 doesn't have to to have that so there must be some way.
Although if there gdm 2/3 will respect those methods for setting
locale.  I'm still looking into how each of these works exactly though.
I hope I can dig up some kind of an answer soon.

Joe Maloney