[PC-BSD Dev] Wild idea to speed up boot process

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Aug 21 10:32:06 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> The kernel *NEVER* makes sense on a ram disk. It is already loaded into memory...

Correct, I wrote in a rush; I was thinking about modules loaded on
demand. And of course I doubt it makes sense for them too, since being
loaded on demand often means "not at boot".

> And you're talking about 4MB of data, or < 1s of waiting for the disk to deliver it.

Agree. At this point I would suggest a way to customize the kernel and
services in order to avoid unnecessary stuff would be better. I'm not
speaking about fastboot, that already works great (even if I found it
confusing sometime), but something that will lead the tuning of the
system boot.

Luca