[PC-BSD Dev] Wild idea to speed up boot process

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Mon Aug 19 23:41:18 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Claudio L. <claudio at hpgcc3.org> wrote:
> I'm not thinking of a "rebuild" process, but more like this:
> 1) Missing files are being added to the RAM disk on-the-fly during boot.
> 2) When the user logs in (or even before), a script is started that runs a
> command that signals "end-of-boot" to the ram disk, causing it to simply
> dump all its contents to disk. Then a deamon is started that monitors the
> files in the ramdisk for writes, and lists them as invalidated when a write
> occurs.

I would take a simpler approach: identify each file that has been
loaded during this (current) boot, and then add such files for the
next boot. Adding files on the fly can speed down the whole process,
since we already have to read the file from disk either way, so adding
it to RAM is not useful for the current boot at all.

Luca