[PC-BSD Dev] Wild idea to speed up boot process

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Aug 19 12:43:30 PDT 2013

Two issues here:

(1) The buffer cache will make reading off media as fast as reading from RAM (since you need to load the RAM, and the delta in compression is likely tiny since configuration data from /etc is tiny). I'm not sure it would help much in the boot time.
(2) NanoBSD has a mechanism to cope with all the issues that you are talking about here. You might want to look at what it does. It doesn't bother with unionfs, preferring instead to load the "known good" configuration from persistent media into RAM and running from there (although there's a minor issue with /etc/master.passwd when users change their passwords).

Warner