[PC-BSD Dev] Good way to manage packages built with different options?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Aug 7 17:44:52 PDT 2013

On 08/07/2013 13:36, Claudio L. wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there a way to permanently skip packages from being updated?
> Here's my situation:
> I use Qt Creator for development. It needs the latest GDB with Python
> support.
> My first option was to use Qt Creator from a PBI: it doesn't include
> its own GDB (why not? but that's a different topic), it uses the
> system GDB which doesn't have python enabled by default.
> I compiled GDB 7.6 from ports with Python support and installed it. It
> works fine, but every time there's an update, my GDB loses python
> support and I need to reinstall from ports.
>
> There should be a way (maybe already is) to mark a package as being
> built from ports, rather than downloaded from pkgng, so that pkgng
> doesn't try to update it?
>
> Claudio

Claudio,

I don't think PKGNG knows enough to ignore the packages built from
ports. However I can enable PYTHON support for GDB in the next set of
packages, so you get the options you need. In addition if you need any
other options enabled for a package, please let me know and I'll "flip
the switch".