[PC-BSD Dev] Help offer

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu Apr 25 11:05:10 PDT 2013

On 04/24/2013 13:25, Claudio wrote:
> Hello, everyone
> I've used PCBSD for a while now, and I noticed there's very few
> developers. I can help with C/C++/ASM/Qt/Shell scripts, or even LUA. I
> have experience with both x86 and ARM systems. I mainly code as a
> hobby. I just finished writing a new file system (published but not
> thoroughly tested for production yet) and a multithreaded memory
> allocator (yet to be published, just for fun, mine is faster than
> jemalloc, but I couldn't beat tcmalloc... it's still about 10% faster
> than mine and uses less memory, but it's OK for a hobby project). I've
> also prepared and published a Board support package for the QNX OS,
> but I moved away when they closed the source code. I'm willing to get
> involved, I can spare a few hours a week and I don't get scared easily.
> I've seen the TODO list, but I'm not sure that's even current. Are
> there any (relatively small) tasks for me to start getting into? I'll
> take bigger tasks as I get more familiar with how things progress.
> Anything that's a priority?
>
> Cheers,
> Claudio

Claudio,

Welcome!

There are a number of things which need improvement, but really it
depends on what you feel like taking on first. Have you taken a look at
the various programs in our repo on GitHub?

https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd/tree/master/src-qt4

Couple of things that come to mind here:

pc-netmanager/src/NetworkTray - I would love some functionality which
monitors the network status, and can change the icon based upon if the
internet is available, or not. Maybe some sort of "repair" function if
the internet goes away that does the obvious things, like re-starting
networking, try to re-associated with wifi, etc.

pc-soundconfig - Could use some love working with the snd_hda subsystem.
Perhaps a GUI to let us change hda pin configuration? This helps in
cases where audio is going to the wrong port, I.E. not going to the
headphones when I want it to.

pc-installgui - We have an icon which lets you view hardware detection
status, but it would be nice if it ran automatically, and showed some
sort of QT bubble message to click for details if something isn't detected.

I'm sure users can provide many other ideas of things to improve though,
feel free to chime in with ideas :)