[PC-BSD Dev] network manager bug ?

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Tue Apr 9 07:53:30 PDT 2013

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading all of my 9.0 to 9.1 and I have been
finding some RANDOM issues with the network cards (they are all the same
computer).

I had a little extra time in my hands last night and I kind of figured
out the issue.

Sometime the network manager configures the cards with the wrong values
when using static IPs, for example after I set:
  - IP: 192.168.1.28
  - NetMask: 255.255.255.0
  - Router: 192.168.1.1

the rc.conf entry looked like this:
  - defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
  - ifconfig_bg0="192.168.1.26 netmask 192.168.1.1"

I then checked the network manager thinking I miss-typed the value (it
was still open), I clicked "apply", "save" and re-opened rc.conf only to
see that the configuration was still wrong. ( Once closed and re-opened,
the network manager it started to configure correctly, but not every time. )

I manually changed the entry to have the correct netmask, restarted the
network via the network manager, and still no luck, restarted computer,
but still I was not able to ping 192.168.1.1. I then changed network
card like I have done on other computers, reconfigure it, changed cable
and switch.. but still nothing.

I then run sysinstall, and configured the network.  I noticed that the
values entered where not automatically recognized, so i typed them
again, I told to bring the interface UP using the same values, and it
worked.

I went into rc.conf and noticed that the ifconfig_bg0 line was a little
different, instead than

         ifconfig_bg0="192.168.1.26 netmask 255.255.255.0"

it was

         ifconfig_bg0="inet 192.168.1.26  netmask 255.255.255.0"

I am not sure what difference is but I went back to other computers that
had network issues with bg0, changed the ifconfig to have "inet" in it
and everything start to work on those as well.

The problem is not isolated only to bg0, also em0 sometime doesn't work
without the inet in it, as well as vl0 (I believe that is the code).

Maybe network manager should automatically add inet to the rc.conf line ?

Fabry