[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD scripting langiage... again

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Wed Apr 3 04:58:38 PDT 2013

My personal opinion is that PCBSd should stay as much as possible with
shell scripts.
Perl and Python are both appropriates, I would not choose anything
else because these are probably the most popular in the sysadmin
context and in the programming one (even for people that is not
professional developer). Perl is already in base, if I remember well.
Adding python should not increase too much the size of the
installation, and despite this, is something similar to what other
Linux distros do today and sounds to me that to an average user having
Perl and Python already installed is natural.

Now, despite the selection of one language, a very interesting thing
that would boost PCBSD adoption, in my opinion, could be having
bindings to all PCBSD stuff (e.g., PBI) for other languages. But this
is another topic...

Luca