[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD scripting langiage... again

Torsten Eichstädt torsten.eichstaedt at web.de
Mon Apr 1 10:38:49 PDT 2013

> > Python is not suitable for simple tasks *where users* shall be able to
> > change s/th, because for newbies Python is too error-prone.
>
> You keep repeating it, but you haven't given a single argument why do
> you think so despite being shown some evidence to the contrary.

We've had s/o here who wrote he must change s/th to use PC-BSD in his network.
I'm extrapolating -> he was one example, many want or have to do that,
especially bigger organizations/companies.

error-prone: You gave examples of subtle mistakes done by experienced
programmers in Python => for newbies, it's much easier to make even more
mistakes.

> > Yes. But honestly, JavaScript is not exotic! It's a widely used,
> > standardized scripting language. Any experienced programmer will be able
> > to learn it within short time.
>
> I think just a moment before you've been writing about newbies.
I do not understand this.  Maybe we have a misunderstanding here.  What I'm
trying to say is that config handling should be as easy as possible to allow
for quick adjustment.  In many cases, adjustments will not be done by
experienced UNIX'ers, IMHO.  Using a simple, easy language does not exclude
experienced programmers.  But vice versa: using a complex language excludes
newbies.
--
=|o)