[PC-BSD Dev] You dudes need some more Qt/C++ help?

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Thu May 31 23:39:05 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:26:58AM -0700, Guillermo Amaral wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I've got a hankering to help with more PC-BSD stuff since I've been slacking
> on the promo end, you guys need some Qt/C++/C help?
>
> You know you do ;)

> P.S. If you don't need/want help with system development, I'm open to
> requests, like a cool gui tool idea you think might make the PC-BSD user
> experience better.

One very easy thing comes to my mind: Extending the PCBSD installer to
recognize that it's being installed to a notebook and offer the user to
add the apropriate acpi_*.ko module to loader.conf.

I already started a poll to gather some output of dmidecode here:
http://www.bsdforen.de/showthread.php?t=27821 (German, but the output of
dmidecode is English ;-) ).

So, basically it's just running
dmidecode -t chassis | grep -e Manuf -e Type
Check if it's a notebook, look if we have an acpi_*.ko and show a
window asking the user if he likes to have the module loaded at boot
time. Then add 'acpi_foo_load="YES"' to /boot/loader.conf or NOP if the
answer was no.

That's pretty much it...

Lars