[PC-BSD Dev] You dudes need some more Qt/C++ help?

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Thu May 31 15:01:50 PDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 14:26, Guillermo Amaral wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I've got a hankering to help with more PC-BSD stuff since I've been slacking
> on the promo end, you guys need some Qt/C++/C help?
>
> You know you do ;)

> P.S. If you don't need/want help with system development, I'm open to
> requests, like a cool gui tool idea you think might make the PC-BSD user
> experience better.

We can always use a hand with coding!

One thing Ken is starting is a new QT based login manager, to eventually
replace GDM. Would that be something of interest? Otherwise here's some
other things I know will eventually need to be done:

QT Projects
----------------
Disk Manager GUI - After installation, allow us to format and setup USB
disks, and disk drives. Should include support for UFS, ZFS and GEOM.
qsu - Replacement for gksu / kdesu, which relies only on QT4.
Thinclient GUI - front-end to the "pc-thinclient" command, allows inital
setup of PXE booting, and post setup configuration
ZFS Snapshot GUI - The FreeNAS guys have a python backend which does all
the ZFS snapshot stuff, would be cool to have some QT front-end

C Projects
Extend the FreeBSD vesa splash-screen module, with support for
animation, showing basic status about system bootup

I'm sure there are other things to add to this list, but that's a good
starting place :)