[PC-BSD Dev] Update on PC-BSD translations

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed May 2 14:10:28 PDT 2012

Translators,

I wanted to give you a quick status update on some of the changes for
Translations in the 9-STABLE snapshots, and eventually PC-BSD 9.1.

First, all languages which are available in Pootle
(http://pootle.pcbsd.org) will now be selectable in for installation.
Should a string not be fully translated, the default English string will
be displayed instead. This will allow you to begin testing any/all
languages in the upcoming snapshots.

Second, I have removed the "pbimeta.po" file from the translation
process. This file had been getting so large, that it was becoming quite
unreasonable to expect our translators to tackle it. This means in
Pootle now you will see a more accurate representation of the
translations progress. I'm currently investigating alternative methods
of translating the AppCafe application descriptions.

Third and lastly, I've implemented some cleanup functionality into the
scripts which sync the strings into Pootle. As a string is modified or
removed from our subversion tree, the old string will now be
automatically purged from the Pootle database, keeping the number of
strings for translation at a manageable amount.

Thanks for all the work you've done to translate PC-BSD into other
languages! Let us know on the translations mailing list if you have any
questions, or run into problems going forward.