[PC-BSD Dev] Boot time + boot screen + LXDE

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Mar 9 09:32:31 PST 2012

On 03/09/2012 11:59, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> On 03/09/2012 11:16, Kris Moore wrote:
>> I'm trying to debug this issue now. Its a weird one. On my system here,
>> the refresh only happens for about a minute, then it stabilizes and
>> works normally. Is that what you see on your systems as well?
> It does no matter how long I have the computers on :-(
I may have a fix to this. Can you test the attached patch?

Put it in /usr/ports/x11/menu-cache/files, replacing the existing patch

Then run:
# cd /usr/ports/x11/menu-cache
# make deinstall ; make install

Then as your user, do "killall -9 menu-cached", or reboot. Does it fix
the issue?

>> The LXDE file-manager doesn't do all the niceties like smb: browsing. I
>> usually run LXDE with KDE installed, so I can bring up dolphin if I want
>> to do that.
> that means that is not ready for production here then.. Most of our
> company data is on the network.
> I will install KDE on all the computers so they can access it and work
> on it correctly.
> one more thing:
> On one computer I have 2 users:
>  - admin
>  - csr
> the admin doesn't have the network bookmarked and it was created at
> installation
> csr was added later and it has the network share bookmarked
> admin I can write: smb://192.168.1.###/sharefiles  and I am able to
> access the shares, it asks me the username and password each time
> (they are different than the user username and password) and it works.
> on the user csr I can write smb://192.168.1.###/ and I am able to see
> the shares, as soon as I click on one (that time that it should ask me
> to authenticate) it gives me the error.  I have a username in the
> samba server called "csr" and it uses the same user and password as
> the "csr" user on this computer.
> This said, I have a second computer with 1 user only, the user was
> created during installation and has the same sharedfiles bookmarked
> and and the username and password are on the samba server.  This
> computer doesn't have any problems re-opening the share. the username
> is 8 chars long (fabrizio).
> All the users are set to be admins and the two computers are two
> identical computers with the same updates and same PBIs except the
> second one that  has eclipse installed.
> I haven't had time to try longer usernames or to not use the bookmarks
> or to check the differences in the home folder between two brand new
> user (installation user and added user).
Sounds like some config file is different between the two.. This in in
dolphin right?