[PC-BSD Dev] Boot time + boot screen + LXDE

Bridger Dyson-Smith bdysonsmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 08:42:40 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Kris Moore <kris at pcbsd.org> wrote:

> > a few issues are:
> >  - Username that are 7 chars long causes the menu to refresh every 4
> > second (weird, but it happens)
>
> I'm trying to debug this issue now. Its a weird one. On my system here,
> the refresh only happens for about a minute, then it stabilizes and
> works normally. Is that what you see on your systems as well?

I've just left the mouse hovered over a category in the launcher for 5
minutes and it never stabilizes. I've got a 20 second video I can post
somewhere if you'd like to see (in grainy 720p) the behavior.

   >  - Network files cannot be opened directly from the network (for

> > example using open office and "file manager" and smb: protocol with
> > authentication)
> The LXDE file-manager doesn't do all the niceties like smb: browsing. I
> usually run LXDE with KDE installed, so I can bring up dolphin if I want
> to do that.
>
> I've been looking around for gvfs -- while I can't find it in ports
(unless I'm looking in the wrong place) -- according to the LXDE wiki,
building PCManFM with gvfs gives you sftp/webdav/smb goodies. Is this
something we could roll into the FreeBSD implementation?

Kris, thanks (again) for all of your porting work with LXDE!
Cheers!