[PC-BSD Dev] Boot time + boot screen + LXDE

Fabrizio Parrella fabrizio at bibivu.com
Wed Mar 7 11:04:25 PST 2012

I have a few requests.

I have installed PC-BSD 9.0 on most of the computers in my company using
LXDE instead than KDE.  I must admit that it is MUCH faster, but LXDE
still have major issues that will force me to convert most of those
users back to KDE.

a few issues are:
  - Username that are 7 chars long causes the menu to refresh every 4
second (weird, but it happens)
  - Network files cannot be opened directly from the network (for
example using open office and "file manager" and smb: protocol with
authentication)
  - Network bookmarks often do not work and give a samba + dbus error,
so far the only way to solve this issue is to drop  ( ? ) the user and
recreate it.  Some users (like the one on my computer) for some reason
work without a problem.  Speculating: I wonder if it has to do with the
username length here too ?
  - Proxy is not respected by browsers or emails, I have to manually
change the files and add the proxy, but each time that there is an
update, I have to do it again

Now, about the boot time, I have had a few people complains that it
takes too long, I went and checked and most of them when they see the
screen with the brownish/reddish count down (10 seconds) press enter or
press a button, as they don't want to wait and assume that pressing keys
would make it go faster. Maybe that should be changed to 2 seconds as in
production computers almost no one needs to change those parameters, and
when they need to be changed then is safe to assume that the person will
be there to press the space or any button.

I also noticed that the "countdown" screen is different on some random
computer.  I have 6 of the same computers, same ram, same everything,
and in 4 of them the "countdown" screen is the new improved one, on the
other 2 the screen is the classical black screen with the white text and
"PC BSD" on the right.  not sure what makes those change and if that is
only the effect of other possible problems, but worth to mention.

Thank you

Fabry