[PC-BSD Dev] Ideas for beadm

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jun 6 11:32:59 PDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 03:13, Mads Worsøe Duun wrote:
> Thanks for looking at my idea to include beadm in the PCBSD base
> system. Here are some of my thoughts about how I would like it
> implemented:
> - A beadm profile in the installer, that set up zfs according to
> this http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=31662
I've added a new default ZFS layout which should work better with beadm.
I'm going to be doing some testing with it here soon.

> - pc-updatemanager should be BE (Boot Environment) aware (like in
> Solaris/Openindiana). Before a system update, create a new BE and
> update that. If anything goes wrong, you can boot into your previous BE.
That would be the ideal, plus we may need to write a GUI front-end to
it, so users can easily create a BE, and revert back anytime they want.

> - At boot time you should be able to see a list of current BE's, and
> from that list choose a BE to boot. Solaris uses grub for this, but I
> don't think we should use that. Hope that somehow the FreeBSD
> bootloader can handle that.
Does grub support this? Or does the beadm manager do some configuration
of the grub config manually? I'm not sure how long it would take to get
the FreeBSD boot-loader hacked to support this, maybe grub is something
worth looking into since Solaris is using it for this as well?

> I would love to help with some of this, especially
> the pc-updatemanager part, so just give me a "call" if interested.
If you want to play around with getting grub working, that would be cool
:) One thing I know grub needs is support for detecting FreeBSD on root
setups, when running "grub-mkconfig". If that was setup properly, then
we could see about using it as the boot-loader.