[PC-BSD Dev] Ideas for beadm

Mads Worsøe Duun mads at worsoe.dk
Wed Jun 6 00:13:16 PDT 2012

Thanks for looking at my idea to include beadm in the PCBSD base system.
Here are some of my thoughts about how I would like it implemented:

- A beadm profile in the installer, that set up zfs according to this
- pc-updatemanager should be BE (Boot Environment) aware (like in
Solaris/Openindiana). Before a system update, create a new BE and update
that. If anything goes wrong, you can boot into your previous BE.
- At boot time you should be able to see a list of current BE's, and from
that list choose a BE to boot. Solaris uses grub for this, but I don't
think we should use that. Hope that somehow the FreeBSD bootloader can
handle that.

I would love to help with some of this, especially
the pc-updatemanager part, so just give me a "call" if interested.

Just my two cents

Mads Worsøe Duun