[PC-BSD Dev] Fwd: Squashfs for LiveCDs

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jul 6 05:45:23 PDT 2012

On 07/05/2012 02:24, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Sorry, this was meant to go to the list....
>
> May I ask why PCBSD is getting trouble fitting a single DVD? I mean,
> other Linux distribution, even including the KDM are on a signle dvd
> and besides theare are many distributions that are shipped on few
> mediums. Is this not acceptable for PCBSD?
>
> Luca

We aren't really having trouble with it for the install DVD. The
packages on that disk are compressed with LZMA, and we still have ~1.0
of free space to spare. The problem has been the Live DVD, which was
using uzip compression, and after getting KDE4 on the media, there
wasn't a lot of room left over to do GNOME/XFCE4 & others. This may be
changing in the near future though, now that we have geom_uncompress
coming available, which uses LZMA as well.