[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD 9.0 Released!

H hm at hm.net.br
Mon Jan 16 11:26:47 PST 2012

On Monday 16 January 2012 14:35:44 Kris Moore wrote:
> On 01/14/2012 10:33, H wrote:
> > greetings ...
> >
> > On Friday 13 January 2012 12:34:34 Kris Moore wrote:
> >> Some 9.0 highlights:
> >>
> >> * Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE
> >> * Support for installing a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE,
> >> GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
> >> * Improved PBI system, allows library sharing, binary diff updating,
> >> custom repositories, digital signing and more!
> >> * Support for "freebsd-update" via the System Update GUI.
> >> * New Control Panel, providing consistent configuration options across
> >> various Window Managers.
> >> * Improved networking utilities, including wifi quick-connect.
> >> * Enhanced "Life-Preserver" utility for doing off-site rsync backups of
> >> user data.
> >> * New VirtualBox / VMware disk images, with integrated guest tools.
> >> * Support for UFS+Journaling out of box
> >> * New graphical boot options page
> >> * Support for installation to BootCamp partitions on OSX systems.
> >
> > * And much more! ... funny stuff
> >
> > did you learn your installer/updater not to delete user programms
> > installed from ports (using portmaster or portinstall)?
>
> I'm sure this has been mentioned a dozen times, but that is normal
> behavior. That's why we include the "portjail" to install FreeBSD ports
> / packages. When you do an update, its going to install new pkgs for
> your desktop, and we don't include all 20k pkgs in our repo, so its not
> possible to re-install your custom ones.

don't know where it was mentioned but anyway, that is understandable but IMO
not understandable when something is deleted without asking.

> > and this loader.conf cleansing? letting only
> > kernelmenu_show="YES"
> > kernelgeneric_show="YES"
> > kernelold_show="YES"
> >
> > after any reboot?  luck that loader.conf.local is still being read ...
>
> /boot/loader.conf shouldn't be getting cleaned out.. That's on the
> exclude list. What exactly happened in this case?

yurkis at gmail.com answered earlier:

Did you rebuild custom kernel? If you have problems with loader.conf try to
remove rc.shutdown lines from
'############# Kernels boottime menu code ###############'
'############  Kernels boottime menu code end ###########'

After RC3 PCBSD switch to graphical bootloader. Kernels boot menu was not
merged into beastie.4th but rc.shutdown script was not removed.

I'll try to reimplement kernels boot menu on new bootloader till next month or
two.

--

HM
+55 17 8111.3300