[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD 9.0 Released!

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Mon Jan 16 08:35:44 PST 2012

On 01/14/2012 10:33, H wrote:
> greetings ...
>
> On Friday 13 January 2012 12:34:34 Kris Moore wrote:
>> Some 9.0 highlights:
>>
>> * Based upon FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE
>> * Support for installing a variety of Window Managers, such as KDE,
>> GNOME, XFCE, LXDE and more!
>> * Improved PBI system, allows library sharing, binary diff updating,
>> custom repositories, digital signing and more!
>> * Support for "freebsd-update" via the System Update GUI.
>> * New Control Panel, providing consistent configuration options across
>> various Window Managers.
>> * Improved networking utilities, including wifi quick-connect.
>> * Enhanced "Life-Preserver" utility for doing off-site rsync backups of
>> user data.
>> * New VirtualBox / VMware disk images, with integrated guest tools.
>> * Support for UFS+Journaling out of box
>> * New graphical boot options page
>> * Support for installation to BootCamp partitions on OSX systems.
> * And much more! ... funny stuff
>
> did you learn your installer/updater not to delete user programms installed
> from ports (using portmaster or portinstall)?
I'm sure this has been mentioned a dozen times, but that is normal
behavior. That's why we include the "portjail" to install FreeBSD ports
/ packages. When you do an update, its going to install new pkgs for
your desktop, and we don't include all 20k pkgs in our repo, so its not
possible to re-install your custom ones.

> and this loader.conf cleansing? letting only
> kernelmenu_show="YES"
> kernelgeneric_show="YES"
> kernelold_show="YES"
>
> after any reboot?  luck that loader.conf.local is still being read ...
/boot/loader.conf shouldn't be getting cleaned out.. That's on the
exclude list. What exactly happened in this case?