[PC-BSD Dev] PC-BSD 9.1 now available!

Ken Moore ken at pcbsd.org
Tue Dec 18 17:18:58 PST 2012

On 12/18/2012 19:22, Fabrizio Parrella wrote:
> Awesome !!
>
> Great Job.
>
> How to upgrade from a 9.0 ?

The online update from PC-BSD 9.0 -> 9.1 should be made active soon. You
should then be able to follow the prompts from the Update Manager to
perform the upgrade.

> Have to do a new install or can it be done via the DVD GUI ?

There is a new Installer GUI for PC-BSD 9.1 that allows for a OEM
installation and simplifies the installation process even further than
previously (although the advanced options are still there, you just have
to click the "Customize" button on the desired configuration step to get
to them).

While you are not required to re-install your system to move from 9.0 to
9.1, I would recommend it if you are using ZFS. The new installer allows
you to configure your ZFS setup quite a bit more than previously, with
much more intelligent defaults for compression and such. There was also
a recent change to now permit using a 4K sector size for the ZFS
installation, resulting in a noticeable speed boost for large read/write
operations (such as initial system installation, PBI installations, etc...).

> how about the PBIs ? will have to wait for new ones to be released for
> 9.1 or will the ones created for 9.0 work also for 9.1 ?

All of the PBI's for 9.0 should work just fine for 9.1 (we have been
using them in our testing without any issues). If you should run into
any strange issues with a PBI on 9.1, please let of know about it!

> One more question, PROXY configuration via GUI that will change the
> /etc/profile ? (currently on 9.0 it should, but it doesn't, plus lower
> and upper case are required as some programs wants the lowercase other
> wants to uppercase)
> HTTP_PROXY=proxy.domain.com:3128  <http://proxy.domain.com:3128>; export HTTP_PROXY
> HTTPS_PROXY=proxy.domain.com:3128  <http://proxy.domain.com:3128>; export HTTPS_PROXY
> NO_PROXY="localhost,127.0.0.1,localaddress,.localdomain.com  <http://localdomain.com>"; export NO_PROXY
> http_proxy=proxy.domain.com:3128  <http://proxy.domain.com:3128>; export http_proxy
> https_proxy=proxy.domain.com:3128  <http://proxy.domain.com:3128>; export https_proxy
> no_proxy="localhost,127.0.0.1,localaddress,.localdomain.com  <http://localdomain.com>"; export no_proxy

There have been a number of bug-fixes to the network configuration
utility for 9.1, especially with regards to proxy configurations. So I
cannot say for certain, but this might have been corrected. If not,
please let us know!

~~Ken Moore~~
PC-BSD/iXsystems