[PC-BSD Dev] some issues w/9.0

H hm at hm.net.br
Sat Apr 21 04:02:48 PDT 2012

Hi

I am looking for an easier maintenance of my FreeBSD/KDE workstations.
Since some month I am "fighting" with PCBSD because I understand that
it's purpose is being a Desktop/Workstation.

I am still lost or I still have not found the right lane. So please
understand the following points as it is, a problem description

I might have deeper understandings but am looking for simplifying
maintenance, so I look at the issues as user not as programmer, because
that is what I will get as feedback later

For me it is not clear how I should treat/use ports/packages/app-caffe

can I use any without creating conflicts? Nobody reads manuals, so IMO a
Desktop should be a pretty self-explanation. I would like to see here as
a initial popup a short messages how it works and what it is.

anyway, app-caffe is offering very few or exotic options and seams some
are not working or are incomplete, as Easy-Pbi, Kports as well as
portsjail is not funcional ... seamonkey is available but not with enigmail

less is more, so since big parts are not working, this app-caffe
eventually does no good at all (at this moment) for getting new users

Your GENERIC kernel is using ULE, at least on my computers with amd
2/and+ cores, this cause maior block while processing any disk
operations, the performance is unacceptable, changing to 4BSD solves the
issue here. I am also not sure if this kernel debug and trace stuff
should be in there, first performance impression is may be 50% or more
worth for saying yes-no  to PCBSD

Your red-colored graphic boot menu is quite confusing, "booting with
above options" is offered but not how to choose this options, also
invisible which one are ticked by default

I have no idea why you chose gdm and not kdm, at least you should make
it as an option, but when changing to kdm4_enable everything has to be
fiddled by hand, no kdm manager in settings. That is not good.

Your xorg setup chose by default radeonhd which is knows as not
supported anymore and instead radeon should be used, even if radeonhd
works, the target is desktop and radeonhd has serious stability issues,
sepcially with dri adn opengl, as well as on dual heads, so I believe
radeonhd is a bad choice. Who do not know will get fancy square mouse
cursors or random hangs depending on screen effects he chose.

The update manager is giving confusing info, when updating something
appears on top package-1.2.5 -> package-1.1.2, first impression is that
it is downgrading not upgrading

some not-native kde apps have mouse-cursor issues, the mouse cursor
changes it's shape in strange and funny ways while be using
thunderbird/seamonkey/firebird or even only hovering about
live-preserver, updating tool icons on kicker

pulseaudio hammered on 3 different machines 90% cpu from startup of your
standard isotope setup, autospawn = no in pulse.conf solved it for me

installing xine and necessary deps in order to get rid of gstreamer for
phonom makes xine not appear in the backend settings

Your installer could need some aditional info when it comes to
slice/partition selection. I guess a normal person has no clue what SU+J
and other options are. Eventually using GJOURNAL right away is the best
standard choice, specially when aware of the 9.0 problems with data-loss
after unclean shutdown

In any case a short explanation would make good impression here.

Another suggestion is disabling any ipv6 options and having an enable
ipv6 radio button somewhere would be better

Also I didn't like the dhclient enabling on all interfaces. That cause
an not necessary boot delay and makes no good. The user who has more
then one eth interface knows what he wants, so the only question at
install time is, defining which is the interface connected to the
internet, Do you want dhcp or manual configuration and good, thats it,
ignoring the others.

Network manager may need the possibility to configure hostap mode on a
wireless adapter

I found it strange how my interfaces where configured but no
gateway_enable in rc.conf

At the end I need to say that PCBSD is still not getting to the point,
but creates some complications and a lot of interaction and knowledge is
necessary.

The graphical setup is a very good thing and needs some refinement and
is a pretty good step forward.

Any package management always was a pain in freebsd and app-caffe seems
to turn the pain from the left to the right but do not make it easier.

IMO, an easy way is the only solution to get users using the system. PBI
certainly is not a solution because a user do not want to download 180
megs for installing Firefox and 240 megs to have kplayer and then still
not working ... a better and eventually easier way would be having a
complete pkg_pool so that really all deps can be downloaded and
stress-less installed.

that's it for now, thanks for publishing PCBSD and I hope soon it will
be going better

Hans