[PC-BSD Dev] LXDE keyboard layouts

N V VaNs9 at yandex.ru
Thu Apr 5 11:37:40 PDT 2012

Hi Dru.

There are two options in general (to make global layout switching):
1) adding lines to the xorg.conf
2) adding lines/file to the /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/[some-filename-here]

This is DE-independent. I use the second one.

The second option suits common installations and PC-BSD, while we use HAL. Sample file if here http://pastebin.com/bcA7xmxR. Unfortunately, most Linux wiki/docs were updated some time ago and don't contain info about HAL. AFAIR, directions were in Arch/Gentoo wiki's and I've grabbed info for this sample file (that I use) there. I've found similar configuration directions in localised Gentoo wiki only: http://ru.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HOWTO_hal_и_устройства_ввода . There were similar docs somewhere around in the Internet. Btw, HAL variant is not mentioned in FreeBSD handbook here http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/lang-setup.html#AEN29753. :( Possibly, this should be added. :)
While I'm here, I want mention that this would be possibly nice to add some similar file if I choose some keyboard layout different from the English one in the installer.

P.S. Those directions at PCLinuxOS site use just LXDE autostart, and are not DE-independent, but should work. :) Thanks.

Regards,
Vans.