[PC-BSD Dev] Some suggestions

N V VaNs9 at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 7 15:00:53 PDT 2011

Hi.

I have some suggestions.

1) I have suggestions for some sysctls. One I've described in the ticket http://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/393. Another is for the Atheros based WiFi cards. Possibly, it'll be nice to have WiFi led on and blink on the network activity. One variant for this is
dev.ath.0.ledpin=3
dev.ath.0.softled=1
There are some combinations for this sysctls.

2) Another thing is default pcm volume = 75:75. Some users don't know that there is another channel besides vol(master) (that is shown usually in the tray). So they raise volume to the maximum but still have rather quiet sound.

3) And one more thing about sound:
I have
# pciconf -lv | grep -A2 -B2 -i hda
..
hdac0 at pci0:0:7:0:       class=0x040300 card=0x01261025 chip=0x055c10de rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'nVidia Corporation'
    device     = 'MCP67 High Definition Audio'
    class      = multimedia
    subclass   = HDA
# sysctl dev.pcm.0.%desc
dev.pcm.0.%desc: HDA Realtek ALC268 PCM #0 Analog

on my Acer Aspire 5520G. Default recording channel is mic, but I can use Skype for calls only when I set monitor as the input channel. If this is a common thing, may be it'll be good thing to set monitor as the default input channel.

4) And the last: why /tmp is tmpfs/mdmfs no more? /tmp and /var/run can be memory backed filesystems with no problem, aren't they?

Regards,
Vans