[PC-BSD Dev] kernel choise boot menu. beastie.4th file

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Wed Jun 1 11:19:48 PDT 2011

On 05/31/2011 11:17, Yuri Momotiuk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I did some changes to beastie.4th file to add kernel choice boot menu.
> You can see screens and additional info at my wiki:
> http://www.assembla.com/spaces/pcbsd-extras/wiki/kernels_menu
> If you want to enable kernels menu add /kernelmenu_show="YES" /to
> loader.conf
> To enable kernel.old menu item add / kernelold_show="YES"/  to loader.conf
> To enable kernel.pcbsd menu item add /kernelgeneric_show="YES"/  to
> loader.conf
>
> The next step is adding script to rc.shutdown which checks /boot
> directory for available kernels and then apply changes to loader.conf
>
> As you can see I add generic kernel menu entry (for kernel.pcbsd).
> IMHO adding generic pcbsd kernel to default distribution is a the good
> think. Kris, can you add that kernel?
>
> PS. You can found my current beastie.4th file in attachment. It is
> still under development. I hope to finish work during the next week or
> two.
> --
> Best regards, Yuri Momotyuk

This is very cool! How does this show up on the main screen? Does it
still have the other options, like vesa / acpi and such, and then a
"change kernel" option?

With this in place I do think it makes sense to add a generic kernel
option as well. I'll add some glue to the build server to do that, so we
have a /boot/kernel.generic on the system as well.

Let me know when you have it finished enough for testing :)